Unable to get result when executing an mdx script

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:35 AM
Hi to all
I entered an mdx script , and when I execute it does not return anything, it just keeps running. I running it against a developer edition of sql 2005 in a vista machine
Thank you
Tomas
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Tomas-

Hmm. When you say you "entered an mdx script", do you mean you entered the MDX script into the window in this performance analyzer tool? You're supposed to enter an MDX query (i.e. a select query) into this tool. The tool then pieces apart the MDX script on the cube on the server.

In case you did enter an MDX query into our tool and you're reporting slowness, check this for me. Open up an MDX window in Management Studio and clear the cache (http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2006/07/07/SSAS_3A00_-Clearing-the-Analysis-Services-cache.aspx) and then run the following:

with
member [Measures].[test] as null
select [Measures].[test] on 0
from [YourCubeName]

How long does that take to run? That sequence will tell you how long it takes to initialize the MDX script in your cube on the server. If it takes more than a few seconds, then that is probably why MDX Script Performance Analyser is slow (since it will essentially do the above sequence once for every line in your MDX script). We have an idea on a way to improve the performance a bit, but it hasn't been implemented yet. Let us know if that would be helpful to you.