Unable to connect to Analysis Services 2008 with MDX Script Performance Analyzer

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Cannot connect to Analysis Services version '10.0.2734.0'. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Server.Connect(String connectionString, String sessionId)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Server.Connect(String connectionString)
   at MDXScriptPerformance.frmMDXScript.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Can some suggest what is missing.

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Sounds like you're using the 2005 version of MDX Script Performance Analyzer to try to connect to an SSAS2008 instance. Download the 2008 version from the Downloads tab on this site and try again.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Thanks changed to 2008 and able to connect. I have run into another issue  excuse me as I am new to this tool.When I enter the mdx query the results doesnt show the breakdown of the time taken. It just return me the same query I entered. I assume there is a defect but doesnt appear to show wht the issue is.

eg:

member [Measures].[MRP] as null
select [Measures].[MRP] on 0
from [cubename]

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Do you have anything in your MDX script in that cube? Are you an administrator of that SSAS instance?

Hmm. I would run Profiler and connect to that Analysis Services instance and see if you can identify any error messages.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Its  a test mdx query i ran. Although I was able to run the same query against the cube in mgmt studio. I am assigned as a user to the cube.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I ran the profiler and found the issue. The cube I connected wasnt processed. When I run a test query, it spits out the MDX Script in the cube with the detla %

For instance, the below MDX script shows time taken as 95959, delta as -247241 and % of final query time as 98.2552245988757% : How do I interpret this result.

CREATE MEMBER CURRENTCUBE.[Measures].[ORDINAL_COMMODITY_ALL_MONTH]
                    AS [REPORT PERIOD].[REPORT PERIOD].currentmember.level.ordinal+
                    [FORECAST MONTH].[FORECAST MONTHS].currentmember.level.ordinal+
                    [LOCATION].[LOCATIONS].currentmember.level.ordinal+
                    [PART].[COMMODITY - PART].currentmember.level.ordinal,
                    VISIBLE = 0  ;

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

You're just looking for the statement(s) in the MDX script which cause the performance of the MDX query to degrade. So if the MDX query was fast until it got to that line in the MDX script, then that's a calculation to look into optimizing. I wouldn't worry too much about the 95959 and what unit of measure that is. The important part is % of final query time, and which line in the MDX script that first spikes on.

And I would only run this on MDX queries which are slow to begin with.